Thursday, May 15, 2014

Game Time at 4:55 AM (Eden Prairie to Milwaukee)

The van left Eden Prairie bright and early Thursday morning headed to Wisconsin. As we settled into our approximately five and a half hour trip, the van fell asleep (other than Ryan A and Rachel). When I woke up, we were in Wisconsin, the sun had risen, and the heat was blowing hot air against my leg. Our pit stop was Black River Falls and as our van pulled into the local Kwik Trip, I got super excited.

Let me explain. Kwik Trip is a popular gas station chain in Wisconsin. When I'm traveling with my family, stopping at a Kwik Trip means a cappuccino. So while most of the group was stumbling around Kwik Trip in a sleepy daze, I headed straight for the cappuccino machines.

Dr. Bob filled up the van, took a quick cat nap, and then we were back on the road. While most of the group proceeded to fall asleep again, I couldn't help but stare out the window, the cold glass against my check. It was funny, I thought to myself, that I knew Interstate 90-94 East so well and no one else in the car knew this road. To them, they were sleeping through it, or if they were up, it was just a road to them. For me, this road carried enough memories to several Word document pages. This was the road my family took for all sorts of adventures: to a Boy Scout camp in Haugen, Wisconsin, snow tubing at Fort McKoy, the Wisconsin Dells, East Towne Mall in Madison, the Johnson Creek Outlet Mall, or to places in Milwaukee. Here I was, all these memories running through my head while my classmates were looking outside thinking, "Well this is Wisconsin." I found myself telling a lot of stories about my travels on that road, to anyone that would listen. Hopefully I wasn't too annoying, but it was one of those moments where you want to share; you want your stories to be heard. I wanted to make my classmates appreciate not only this road but also Wisconsin as a whole. I hope it worked.

The construction in Milwaukee was just as bad as it was about a month or so ago when my dad and I drove to the airport to fly out to Boston for a graduate school visit. But instead of making our way to the airport, Dr. Bob drove the van to Miller Park.

Game time.

Post-game (I'll let Ryan R. talk about the game), we made our way to Germantown to our hotel. We were told to eat at Brisco Country restaurant and boy was it delicious. On top of that, I think this restaurant allowed us to bond. We were psyched about the Brewers win (or maybe just the energy of Miller Park or maybe it was because we were finally getting food after a very long day). Lots of great conversation and it makes me excited for the rest of the trip.

Hailley      

No comments:

Post a Comment